Monday, April 5, 2021

Summer Camp Blunders

 


Summer is approaching and the days are getting warmer.  Middle-schoolers are abuzz about what summer camp they will be attending, and which bestie they hope to bunk with.  This takes me back to my brief camp experience years ago in the mountains of the Midwest.  Due to some serious homesickness and introversion, I did not attend a camp as a child.  However, during my sophomore year at college, I was persuaded by friends to interview at a popular camp for a summer position.  I did not have all the right spiritual answers, nor did I have any singing talent, athletic prowess, nor leadership abilities.  They really must have needed help because I landed the position as a kitchen server (basically a waitress and a dishwasher) for one month at their eighth and newest location on a beautiful lake. 

            Before summer arrived, I made plans to follow a few guys up since the camp was about five hours away, and I was navigationally challenged.  Many of my close friends had gotten jobs at different camp locations or had gotten jobs in their hometown.  The guys I was to follow were new acquaintances, and they were going to call me the night before we were to leave for camp.  Finally, it was the night before camp, and I had all the t-shirts, bug spray, and stationary packed, but I hadn’t received a phone call from the caravan leader.  My dad helped me plan my route as this was pre-gps/smart phone era.  I found my way to a very new, off-the-paved-road camp, and I felt quite accomplished.  Until I learned the reason that my caravan leader didn’t call-I arrived at camp a day too early.  There were several brochures with dates on them, and I looked at the one that had the wrong date.  There were many leaders already at camp, so don’t worry, I had a place to stay.  It turns out my navigator did call the night before I was to leave, but I wasn’t home.

            Little did I know, a camp has a specific culture full of songs, cheers, and stories.  I did not know one single cheer, but I tried to look the part by wearing sporty casual clothing and no make-up.  However, my sensitive allergies flared up with the screen windows allowing all the nature to breeze in and out of our living quarters.  Soon my eyes would not allow me to wear my contacts, and I developed a rash on my legs.  Most of the time I had my hair in a ponytail, and I was donning an apron.  Working in a hot kitchen in the summer didn’t agree with my face either, so my usual clear complexion disappeared.  I couldn’t compare with the athletic, tan counselors all around me, but I absolutely loved the fellow kitchen servers I worked with all day.

            Work week was loads of fun and just as the title of the week conveys: work.  We actually made the beach for the camp on the edge of the lake by clearing trees and rocks.  We cleaned, worshipped, and prepared for the campers.  We also had a little time to socialize with our college peers who had come to this woodsy sporty camp.  One afternoon after lunch, all the counselors were congregated in the cafeteria.  The staff called out all of us kitchen workers to the front porch.  They decided it was time for us to be properly introduced to the counselors.  But I did not categorize their method of introduction as proper!  They called out two strong male counselors who would be responsible for carrying a kitchen worker between them, each leg resting on one counselor’s shoulder.  Then a leader would announce their name over a loudspeaker as these two hunks burst through the doors of the cafeteria and into the crowd.  As an introvert, this was a nightmare to me.  I also have a tendency to worst-case scenario unexpected situations.  In my mind, I was definitely going to pass gas loudly onto the shoulders of these guys for all to hear.  The guys were quickly making their way around to the back of the cafeteria.  I had already positioned myself as the last in line.  I had to move swiftly, which isn’t really in my DNA.  I burst through the doors on foot, slapping high-fives all the way, with my face bright red, I’m sure.  The carrier guys behind me looked a little puzzled as they shrugged at each other.  I heard some laughter among the obligatory cheering in the crowd, and someone yelled, “Nice entrance!”

            There were many opportunities to meet other college students during the work week before campers arrived.  During one social event at the park, we were standing in a line.  I worked up the courage to turn around and introduce myself to the guy standing behind me.  “Hi, I’m Susan.”  “I know,” he said, “We’ve already met. I’m Blane.”  I was so embarrassed that I had no recollection of us meeting.  Fast forward a few weeks later to the cafeteria.  Blane approached the counter with an empty juice pitcher, and I said hello and reached for the pitcher to refill it for his table.  My sassy friend and fellow kitchen server ran up strictly to embarrass me, and to act as though I had been asking about him, which I had not.  She said, “What’s your name?” “Blane,” he said.  She turned to me and said, “His name’s Blane,” and she flittered away giggling to herself leaving me standing in silence with a red face.  She really had no idea of the name forgetting history I had with this guy, and she was just trying to embarrass me at random.  It worked!

            One of the traditions at this camp involved birthdays.  If it was a male counselor’s birthday, all the female counselors and kitchen workers were supposed to come give the birthday boy a kiss on the cheek in front of the whole cafeteria.  This thought terrified me, and as I heard them singing happy birthday, I ran quickly to the back of the kitchen behind the third row of supply shelving.  I heard a loud thwack of a broomstick behind me, and I turned to see another kitchen server hiding in the broom closet.  Apparently, I wasn’t the only one who despised this tradition because another kitchen server questioned all ten of us later, “Where were y’all? I was the only one who went out there!”

            One final memory remains that happened close to the end of my month-long camp experience.  I was outside with my fellow kitchen workers.  One of the staffers had a bicycle that wasn’t currently being used.  I hadn’t ridden a bicycle in years.  I was interested in checking out this bicycle as I had never seen one with foot straps over the pedals.  I asked if I could try it out.  I managed the bike until it was time to disembark.  I was very distracted as I was talking to my friends, and I forgot to take my foot out of the stirrup before swinging my leg over the bike.  I landed on my side on the ground still attached to the bike.

            My camp experience was brief and quite frankly embarrassing.  The theme of camp that summer was “Worth It All.”  For those campers and counselors, I’m sure it was.  And for those lasting memories, times of growth, and laughter, I suppose it was for me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment