Abraham was told when he was 75 years old when God told Abraham of His promise to bless Abraham's offspring. Now that's waiting! And yet, he had to wait more. He waited 25 more years before Isaac was born
I heard an inspiring sermon this morning on faith. Our music minister started off the service saying, "How's your faith today?" I appreciated his transparency when he later said that his faith was low today. He had been depending on himself and his focus and his faith had not been fixed on the Lord.
The sermon had so much spiritual meat in it, I am still chewing on it. I will share with you a small part of it. Abraham was called to take steps of faith, including leaving the familiar. He often didn't know the details, but he knew God. And in Hebrews 11, the Word repeatedly says, "By faith Abraham..."
What does this tell me about Abraham? He trusted. He had faith. He is an example of one who waited on the Lord. He wasn't perfect, and at one point with persuasion from his wife, tried to take matters into his own hands. (I'm guilty of this!)
What does this tell me about God? He wants us to trust Him. He wants us to have faith. He provides. He follows through on His promises.
What have I been thinking about how this pertains to my life?
-I want to trust and have faith and believe like Abraham did.
-Why is it so much easier to believe for others than to believe for yourself? I can easily say and believe for others who are waiting, "It's going to happen for you!" "God has plans for you."
Jeremiah 29:11 " 'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.' "
-I am helping to co-lead a mission trip to Haiti this summer, and this definitely calls for faith and trust with a lot of unknowns. I enjoyed hearing a team member say that she and a fellow team member were nudging each other during the sermon thinking about the Haiti trip!
No comments:
Post a Comment