Saturday, May 5, 2012

He's Able

Well, I was certainly challenged to believe what I wrote in the last blog.  I worked so hard today with two other team members to have a garage sale to raise money for our mission trip to Haiti in July.  I tried hard not to have any expectations of how much we would earn.  I remained positive when other vendors around us were seeing the glass half empty.  We battled last minute advertisement and construction surrounding our site.  We battled complaints from buyers, broken glass, and unfulfilled handshakes.  Still I chose to have a smile and enjoy the nice weather, the shade, and the conversation with new friends.  

Boy was my hope tank deflated when we only made $130.00 which is to be split three ways.  All that work for a small amount.  I certainly was frustrated and had put my trust in circumstances.  I had to return to my previous blog entry as well as take a long nap.  I prayed to handle this with perseverance.  

I recently told the team that you never know how God will provide the money for our trip.  My mentor has told me before "If God has called you, he has also called the funds."  Of course, we will be faithful to contribute and do our part.  

I told my team of my first mission trip to Peru and the lessons I learned in fund raising.  The woman whose house had recently burned to the ground was the very woman who provided the most money towards my mission trip.  I cried, and I will never forget it.  I can only assume that she perhaps felt so blessed by others helping out after her house burned that she wanted to help others.

Music is so important to me and such a lifter to my soul when the song is encouraging.  I listened to "He's Able" by Darwin Hobbs.  It is a song I heard on a gospel channel last year while driving to work.  Later that Spring as I was going through a dark time with a loved one who was in the hospital, the song ministered to me.  As that loved one was being transported by wheelchair in the elevator, the hospital transport randomly belted out that one line of the song, "He's able."  I knew that was from God.  A little message to trust at a time when I couldn't understand what was going on and was tempted to despair.

So once again, I am reminded, 

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever!  Amen."  -Ephesians 3:20

No comments:

Post a Comment