Psalm 23. It's that psalm they read at the funerals in all the movies. At least that's what I used to think.
Psalm 23 is one of those passages that has become special to me. My understanding of that passage has changed after an amazing sermon series by my pastor on how God is our shepherd and all we like sheep. I also read a gift book on Psalm 23 that helped me to appreciate those verses more.
In December of 2004, we were warned that snow and ice were coming, but I wasn't going to believe it until I saw it, much to my detriment. I had a dentist appointment, and I was going to have my teeth cleaned before heading out of town for Christmas break with my family despite my mother's warning to head home as soon as possible. As the dental hygienist chatted and flossed away, my eyes grew large as I saw the flakes start to come down outside the window. After the appointment, I drove a few streets toward the interstate and saw a helpless woman fishtailing and spinning out in her car trying to climb a hill. That was enough for me to find the nearest parking lot, which turned out to be a large hospital and medical office complex, and call for back-up, aka my dad (Paw). He was only 15 minutes away from me working downtown and was heading out of town as well. He would leave work and come to rescue me! I went inside the bottom of the medical tower to purchase some hot chocolate and stay warm at the Starbucks. As the flakes continued to pound down and the hours ticked pass--and the Starbucks closed, I walked the first floor hall of the lonely medical tower. I was nervous about putting my father in danger having to backtrack in the snow and frustrated that I didn't listen to my mother's advice although my teeth were very shiny and clean. It ended up taking my Paw almost four hours to make it across town to pick me up and what brought me comfort in the waiting? Psalm 23. I recited it to myself many times as I paced the hall waiting, just waiting for my rescue. Then we drove several more hours home in the snowy darkness, with no difficulties.
Years later as I was working in a public school in a tiny Southern town, I befriended our custodian. He would greet me everyday with his lovely gruff booming voice, and we would chat about our families. Sadly, he later passed away after a battle with cancer. I was blessed to know him and so glad that I was able to visit him in the hospital and pass on the Psalm 23 book to him. I hope it brought him some comfort.
Recently, I was driving on the interstate when a huge rainstorm came. Usually, I will drive in rain with little worry, but this rain was fierce. My vision field in front of the vehicle grew smaller and smaller, and I feared being squished by the big rigs behind me. I just told myself to make it to the next exit and prayed for safety. I could not see any signs and had no idea when the next exit would come about. I was creeping along in a gullywasher, reciting Psalm 23 aloud when finally an exit appeared. I was able to pull over with about five other cars in a remote moose lodge parking lot until the storm grew lighter.
So Psalm 23 has become quite a comfort passage for me when I am in distress and need the comfort of knowing my Shepherd leads me and calms me.
Psalm 23
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
your rod and staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
No comments:
Post a Comment