Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Big A

AUTISM.

It's a hot topic right now. 

It wasn't anything I was particularly concerned with fifteen years ago.  Even when I chose my profession, I didn't realize what a huge part of my life it would be.  I work with children who have autism.  I do not have a child with autism, but I care for children with autism.  I have been perplexed, challenged, and frustrated by this mysterious, complicated, wonderful disorder.  I am challenged to learn more and more.  As a former supervisor once told me,  "If you've seen one child with autism, you've seen one child with autism," for every child is unique and has his own special gifts and quirks. 

So, tonight on my mind are those parents who have just received a diagnosis for their child for the first time.  Below are some resources for parents or those interested.  Below that is a prayer I wrote years ago for those who work with children with special needs. 

-ASHA The American Speech Language Hearing Association has a great website with information for the public as well as links on the bottom of their page on autism.

-This is a good blog for children who are more than just picky eaters:  cheriandlaura.blogspot.com

-A parent recommended this book to me: 
Facing Autism: Giving Parents Reasons for Hope and Guidance for Help
by Lynn Hamilton

-If you search for my-child-has-just-been-diagnosed-with-autism-how-do-i-cope-with-this, you will find a good article on the Autism College website.  This is the only article I have read on this website, but I look forward to reading more.

-Let me know if you have any good resources for autism or working with children with special needs.  

 
A Prayer for Those who
Work with Children with
Special Needs

Inspired by Psalm 41


Lord, You are the Great
Deliverer and Protector.
You are a merciful
Sustainer and Restorer.

Your word says,
‘Blessed is he who has regard for the weak.’
Help me to always remember,
even amidst screams and crying,
these children are precious to You.

Deliverer me in times of trouble.
Protect me and these children.
Preserve their lives.
Bless them, sustain them, restore them.

Have mercy on me.
Guide me and give me love for them.

Raise me up.  Give me hope.
Help me serve with integrity.
Uphold me.
May your presence be with me.

AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment