Well, I wish there was a magic spray called "Fear be gone" that we could spray whenever pesky doubts and worries are swarming. What can we do when fear is overwhelming and hindering us from progressing in our thoughts and our lives. I admit that fear has bound me in my life in certain areas. So one day I decided to look up verses on fear and pray them. I haven't done that in awhile so perhaps I should dig them out and post them here. I've included some of those verses below. I once heard someone say there are around 365 verses in the Bible that tell us not to be afraid. I don't know if that is true because I haven't taken the time to research that many. If so, that would mean one for everyday of the year, leap year excluded (but we could find a verse to help calm our fears for that day).
What do I do when I am fearful, worried, anxious...?
*FEAR is False Evidences Appearing Real (I've heard this several times.) Think to yourself, "Has what I am worried about happened? Does it have credibility?" Replace those false thoughts with true ones.
*Surround yourself with others who can help you combat those fears: friends, your pastor, mentor, a doctor, or a Christian counselor. I can recommend Christian counseling with the perspective that it can be a truly freeing experience!
*Recall those times when God has been faithful to answer prayers when you were fearful.
*Remind yourself if past circumstances have led to the fear (talking to myself here): Just because those past situations were that way does not mean that all of those type situations or relationships will be that way. That was vague and confusing, but I hope you can relate.
*Present your requests to God, lay down those fears at His feet. Here are some verses you can pray.
Fear
What to Fear:
Deuteronomy 6:13-“Fear the Lord your God, serve him only and take your oaths in his name.”
Deuteronomy 10:12-“And now, O Israel, what does the Lord your God ask of you but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all his ways, to love him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul,”
Deuteronomy 10:20-“Fear the Lord your God and serve him. Hold fast to him and take your oaths in his name.”
Job 28:28-“And he said to man, ‘The fear of the Lord—that is wisdom, and to shun evil is understanding.’”
Psalm 25:12-“Who, then, is the man that fears the Lord? He will instruct him in the way chosen for him.”
Psalm 111:10-“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;
all who follow his precepts have good understanding,
To him belongs eternal praise.”
Proverbs 8:13-“To fear the Lord is to hate evil; I hate pride and arrogance,
evil behavior and perverse speech.”
Proverbs 9:10-“The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.”
Proverbs 10:27-“The fear of the Lord adds length to life, but the years of the wicked are cut short.”
Proverbs 14:27-“The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life, turning a man from the snares of death.”
Proverbs 15:33-“The fear of the Lord teaches a man wisdom, and humility comes before honor.”
Proverbs 16:6-“Through love and faithfulness sin is atoned for; through the fear of the Lord a man avoids evil.”
Proverbs 19:23-“The fear of the Lord leads to life; Then one rests content, untouched by trouble.”
Isaiah 11:3- (Jesus)“and he will delight in the fear of the Lord, He will not judge by what he sees with his eyes, or decide by what he hears with his ears.”
Luke 12:5-“But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him.”
Philippians 2:12-“Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling.”
Fear is:
Psalm 19:9-“The fear of the Lord is pure, enduring forever,
The ordinances of the Lord are sure and altogether righteous.”
1 John 4:18-“There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.”
What NOT to Fear:
Genesis 15:1b-“Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your very great reward.”
Psalm 23:4-“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”
Psalm 27:1-“The Lord is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid?”
Psalm 91:5-“You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day.”
Proverbs 29:25-“Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe.”
Isaiah 41:10-“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
No comments:
Post a Comment