Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Best Laid Plans...

I hurriedly try to take a shortcut to save time only to realize that there actually isn't an entrance to the highway where I thought there was.

I impatiently try to get in the short line at the grocery store only to wait longer than the line that I was previously in. (You know you watch the line you left behind, too!!)

I unsuccessfully try to make all these plans and envision a glorious outcome for certain events in my life only to be surprised or disappointed.

Well, I was once advised through my readings to take my expectations, write them down, then rip the paper up and let them go.  Expectations are good at times, but I am learning to surrender some I've white-knuckled for too long.

I remember a time when I was at a crossroads in my life, trying to make a big decision.  I attended a women's event at my church.  I do love a lively church ladies' event!  We were told at the end of the dinner to pick a balloon from the scattering of balloons blown up around the room.  We were to pop our chosen balloon to find a verse inside.  I remember that my balloon verse really hit home with me at that time.  I was encouraged to just let go of some of those worries and leave it in His hands. The verse was Proverbs 16: 9-
"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."

It's okay to plan.  It's okay to be prepared--you scouts out there.  However, the lesson I feel I am to receive lately is to surrender, let go of my attempt to force things that aren't going to happen.  Life isn't going to be perfect, and it isn't going to happen according to my script.  I need to seek Him and let Him shape my heart and desires.  The Lord will provide the joy for the journey.  When I am consistently disappointed, then I know that I am placing my hope in circumstances and not in the Lord.

Proverbs 3: 5, 6 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

2 comments:

  1. “What day is it?"
    It's today," squeaked Piglet.
    My favorite day," said Pooh.”

    Ok, so quoting Milne isn't the most spiritual of sources, but it reminds me that the only day you have in the one in front of you. It helps me focus when is seems like yesterday went badly, or when I'm worried about tomorrow.

    “Accept the things to which fate binds you, and love the people with whom fate brings you together,but do so with all your heart.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks rc^3, great thoughts. I like that you are quoting Pooh!

    ReplyDelete