Lately I have been blessed with some amazing views of nature. Well, really they could be considered quite ordinary, but maybe it's all about perspective. In the last few weeks I have enjoyed viewing an amazing sunset, a cardinal or two, and a beautiful flock of white birds.
I read a book years ago called Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge. By far the part that has stayed with me the most from that book was about the special glimpses of God's glorious creation that this couple were given. Stasi wrote about how her husband was given having a special time with the Lord, and he saw a whale. Stasi prayed for the same later during her special time with the Lord. She prayers were answered in a different way: she saw a school of starfish. Is that what you call it? A school?
A few years ago, I realized that I kept seeing cardinals, again and again in different locations. Now, I'm not a huge bird person (I've been bitten and pooped on before...by birds); however, I grew to look for and appreciate the beautiful crimson cardinal. I decided to research a little bit and see if the cardinal had any special meaning. All I could find was that the cardinal was considered to be a symbol of Christmas. There you have it. What is Christmas but Jesus, and what is Jesus but love? So, whether you believe it or not, I will continue to consider my glimpses of cardinals a special little "I love you," from my Savior.
I don't see cardinals everyday, but that makes seeing them even more special. Oftentimes, I see one when I especially need encouragement. It catches my breath at times.
I keep looking up at my view of the river at just the right time to see a flock of white birds (what kind are they?). They are in a V-formation skimming the top of the river with the orange glow of the cliffs behind them. The beauty of it gave me chills the other day.
You might think these are simple things. I want to keep my eyes wide open (shout out to Switchfoot's song "Your Love is a Song"). I don't want to miss a thing (shout out to...nah). I am reminded not to worship the created but the Creator. I am invited to appreciate the beauty all around.
Psalm 19: 1 "The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands."
No comments:
Post a Comment